From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-30 10:38:12

At 08:13 AM 1/30/2004, David Abrahams wrote:

>Angus Leeming <angus.leeming_at_[hidden]> writes:

>>> Can you post a patch?
>>
>> Sure.
>
>Thanks, I'm applying it.
>
>> Incidentally, didn't I read that you (not specifically you,
>> Dave) were going to change .htm pages to .html?
>
>I think Beman might've said he was doing that. The problem with
>changing names of pages like that one is that there are existing links
>out there which point to it, and we lose the change history in CVS.
>I don't know if those are insurmountable problems, though.

I did rename some files named index.htm to index.html, because they posed a
particular problem for some web servers and because the inconsistent naming
caused people to make mistakes constructing links. I then fixed the
resulting broken links in other files, to the best of my knowledge.

There was no intent to rename files other than index.htm. AFAIK, there
isn't any motivation for that, and there are the downside problems Dave
mentions.

--Beman