From: Christoph Ludwig (cludwig_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-01-31 13:29:06

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 11:26:11AM -0500, Beman Dawes wrote:
> It looks to me as if stat::st_size's type of off_t isn't large enough on
> 32-bit systems to cope with large file sizes. Am I wrong, or missing
> something?
>
> How big is the largest possible file on, say, Linux? Isn't it larger than
> the 2 gigs a 32-bit signed integer can represent?

I don't know whether there is a solution within any formally defined
Unix or Posix standard. But according to
http://www.suse.de/~aj/linux_lfs.html the Linux 2.4 kernel supports
the Large File Support (LFS) interface. There is also a link to the
LFS specification:
http://ftp.sas.com/standards/large.file/x_open.20Mar96.html

But I don't have any first hand knowledge how complete and stable the
LFS support is and how it interacts with binaries that use the
traditional interface.

Regards

Christoph

--