From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard (jbms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-01 17:58:17

"Jeff Garland" <jeff_at_[hidden]> writes:

> [snip]

> How about 2 symbolic links pointing at the same unmounted volume? I'm
> presuming that symbolic links will be followed (perhaps incorrectly) based on
> the first statement:
> "Two paths will be considered equivalent if they resolve to the same
> physical directory or file."

> One possibility is that they are equivalent since they point at the same
> target. The other is that it is an error...

I would think that the default behavior should be to resolve symbolic
links. To better handle symbolic links, several functions could be
added, which might include is_symbolic_link, resolve_relative (or
resolve_relatively), which works the same way as readlink, and resolve
(or resolve_absolute or resolve_absolutely or resolve_complete), which
would be equivalent to complete(resolve_relative(ph), ph). In
addition, it would be useful to have a function unresolved(path) or
dont_resolve(path) which returns a path wrapped such that the various
functions do not resolve it if it is a symbolic link.

--
Jeremy Maitin-Shepard