From: Lucas Galfaso (lgalfaso_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-07 09:38:52

> IIUC, examples of these advanced file systems would be Apple's and
> Microsoft's latest offerings. I think Apple started it first, but has
> totally disabled it except what's needed to support pre-X files.
Microsoft
> doesn't need it at all, but has it fully enabled! (I've read that this
> decision has resulted in some security bloopers. For example, someone
could
> look at an empty file in his/her text editor and wonder why it takes up so
> much disk space, not knowing that the data was placed in a custom fork and
> an old text editor can't recognize that.)
>
> Does any Unix(-like) system support this idea, besides Mac OS X? I've
heard
> that Linux was experimenting with this. Obviously, any non-advanced file
> system could be supported with any new APIs we make; just assume that the
> file system supports only one fork (with an empty name?).

Hi,
Apple and MS call this feature, multiple streams file, so could use that
name too :-) Apple did it first, and MS copy it (actually, improved it a
lot.) and MS does use it, never wonder where the author field from each file
came from? Anyway, you can generate and open each stream as a separated
file, if you want to read foo, stream bar, just open foo::bar.

My 0.02 pesos
Lucas/