From: scott (scottw_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-09 20:34:09

i think the same. exceptions result in call unwinding
and eventually being caught, or "falling out the bottom".
activities tightly bound to the call stack.

anything that attempts to "propagate" exceptions across
threads would be doing something distinct to what the
C++ spec describes, i guess.

would it be "more correct" to allow a thread to be notified
of an exception in another thread? at which point it could
throw (a completely distinct) exception; along the lines
of "throw trusty_worker_barfed". the significant difference
being that the new exception does not attempt to assume
the type+value of the original exception.

preserves definition of exception. allows a thread (or
threads) to respond to exceptional activity in another
and sidesteps the issue of copying (i.e. slicing). at
the obvious cost of actual type+value of the original.

a "lossy propagation" model?

BTW:
should the propagation question extend to threads in
other processes? except for the obvious difficulty
of transfer to another address space it would seem
a relevant question with all the refs to ACE+TAO

SW