From: Victor A. Wagner, Jr. (vawjr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-10 01:17:11

At Monday 2004-02-09 18:34, you wrote:

> [...]

consider the call to join()
what's the big hoo-haw about it getting some information back from the
thread? and if there's info, then there might be an exception as part of it.

>anything that attempts to "propagate" exceptions across
>threads would be doing something distinct to what the
>C++ spec describes, i guess.

Hey, if you seem to be offended by this, how about a NEW function called
wait_for_and_report_results(somethreadhandle) ??
would it be ok for that function to throw? Why not?

It's beginning to look like there are different models that all use
"threading" as an implementation technique. These models apparently also
differ on what should happen if a "thread goes bad".

I've been doing embedded systems since 1971 "crashing" the computer is NOT
an acceptable answer. Short of catastrophic failure of the computer system
itself, all errors must be given to the program in one fashion or another
so that it can attempt to recover.