From: Trey Jackson (tjackson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-11 15:29:24

All,

I'm loving the shared_ptr class,
however we have one issue that doesn't seem to be addressed by any of
boost's smart pointers, and I'm looking for a work-around/alternative.
Any help?

The issue is that the smart pointers assume the pointer type to be
'T*', which is fine on a 32-bit system, but means that we get a near
doubling of run-time size on our application when we move to a 64-bit
application.

As a result, we're using the standard technique to have a custom heap,
and use our own 'pointers' into that heap that are smaller (typically
32-bits).

But of course our ClassOnHeapPtr type does not match a 'ClassOnHeap *',
so a boost::shared_ptr<ClassOnHeap> won't work.

Are there any other libraries you boosters would recommend?

thanks for any info...

TJ

--
Trey Jackson