From: Raoul Gough (RaoulGough_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-13 03:31:28

Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> writes:

> At 12:35 PM 2/12/2004, Martin Wille wrote:
[snip]
> >3. Compile time may become very large for large test
> > programs or heavy template usage. E.g. in one case,
> > we had to split a test into three (Spirit's switch_p
> > tests) in order to make testing feasible.
>
> It is hard to know the overall effect without accurate timings. My
> personal belief is that on average the total time will drop. But we
> need timings to know for sure.

There are some cases when really big tests would certainly be slower.
I had to split some of my Python container library tests into separate
modules because g++ was starting to thrash the swapfile(s) on my home
machine (with 256MB of RAM). I would guess that otherwise one big test
module would certainly be faster, but there is a practical limit there
somewhere.

--
Raoul Gough.
export LESS='-X'