From: Hurd, Matthew (hurdm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-15 16:55:23

> On Behalf Of Edward Diener
> Subject: [boost] Re: status of wchar_t support in filesystem::path?
>
> Paul Miller wrote:
> > I just started using boost recently and it seems excellent so far.
> >
> > One of the first classes I started using is filesystem::path, with
the
> > intention to use it portably on Windows, OS X, and Linux.
> >
> > On Windows and OS X, you can work with paths in Unicode. Presumably
> > Linux still works with multi-byte characters.
> >
> > Is there progres toward a wchar_t-aware path?

<snip>

As a philosophy, I consider boost's filesystem to be attempting to offer
a portable filesystem ability, rather than being a portable interface to
a file system.

As it currently stands, without unicode support, it is not much use if
you want to be able to deal with arbitrary file and directory names on
win32 which is not a handicap if this is not its intention. For
example, I could not use it for an archiving program as I must deal with
the potential for unicode names and internal stream in files.

It does an admirable job of dealing with your own files where you can
control the naming.

Regards,

Matt Hurd

Susquehanna Pacific P/L