From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-15 22:12:30

At 04:06 PM 2/15/2004, David Abrahams wrote:

>"Edward Diener" <eddielee_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> the C++ standard committee is so intent on not supporting wide
>> character filenames
>
>Be careful about your generalizations. I doubt you've polled the
>standard committee's members or have any good idea about their
>intention in this matter.

Exactly.

It sounds like Edward has been talking to a C++ standards committee from a
parallel universe.

The C++ committee from this universe has never had a proposal before it to
support wide-character filenames. The LWG has never even formally discussed
what path internationalization might look like, AFAICR, although there has
been occasional informal discussion between members. Several LWG members
are interested in finding solutions to the issues raised by the
internationalization of paths, and have contributed support and ideas to
Boost.Filesystem's internationalization.

--Beman