From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-15 21:42:08

At 12:19 PM 2/15/2004, Paul Miller wrote:

>I just started using boost recently and it seems excellent so far.
>
>One of the first classes I started using is filesystem::path, with the
>intention to use it portably on Windows, OS X, and Linux.
>
>On Windows and OS X, you can work with paths in Unicode.

Do you have a reference for a good source of information about OS X
handling of paths?

> Presumably
>Linux still works with multi-byte characters.
>
>Is there progres toward a wchar_t-aware path?

Yes. I now have the outline of a design for the internationalization of
Boost.Filesystem paths. The C++ committee meets in Sydney, Australia, next
month, and the LWG will be queried to see if they are interested in the
standardization of an internationalized version of Boost.Filesystem based
on that design. If so, I'll start work on a prototype.

>Is there an existing strategy for storing my Unicode Windows/Mac paths
>as UTF-8 with the existing path?

No, you would have to do the conversion yourself. It would be nice if Boost
had a std::locale codecvt implementation for UTF-8 conversions.

> I notice the existing posix checks
>would fail horribly in this case. Is a UTF-8 checker in order?

It wouldn't hurt. Care to contribute one?

--Beman