From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-16 12:38:47

At 09:49 AM 2/16/2004, Jeff Garland wrote:

>Also, I believe filesystem::path could and should be refactored to
support
>wide strings on platforms that provide this capability. Obviously using
>this interface would limit portability...

My intent for filesystem::wpath (note the "w") is that it should work
whenever possible on operating systems which use char as the external
representation type. There would certainly be some limitations; the
external encoding would have to be one that did not generate invalid names.

For example, wpath on Linux would presumably use UTF-8 as the default
external encoding, so that should work just fine. On Windows, the wpath
internal and O/S external encoding are the same, so the same code would
work on both Windows and Linux, and probably quite a few other O/S's too.

--Beman