From: Jody Hagins (jody-boost-011304_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-17 13:50:51

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 18:32:51 +0000
Russell Hind <rhind_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Yes, but we have a very functional set of libraries in boost-1.30.2
> and boost-1.31.0 so why not say older compilers are stuck to using
> these versions of boost? We're not saying they can't use boost, just
> not the latest version?

I agree. Some very nice libraries (e.g., ACE) have, IMO, been
significantly hindered because of the vast array of compiler/OS versions
they support (this support is a main reason for its growth and
acceptance in the first place). At some point, the individual boost
libraries will have to kick the parasites to the curb... or continued
development will be significantly impaired, not to mention it will be
impossible to keep sanity in the release-master role.

The release master is saddled with making sure all these versions still
work, which is a terrible burden, and vastly increases the time for
testing, and releasing subsequent versions of the code base.