From: Russell Hind (rhind_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-17 14:12:13

Arkadiy Vertleyb wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just built boost 1.31.0 (windows, with mingw toolset), and I can't
> find the static thread library. Did I do something wrong or is it no
> longer supported (it was there at least in 1.29)?

There is no static thread library for win32. Search the archives for
discussions as to why, but basically the cleanup required for TLS
couldn't be implemented unless the library is built as a DLL on win32.

If you don't use TLS, then you could possibly build your own static
thread library from the source, but that isn't an official recommendation.

(I do it, but I create all threads at the start of the application and
they exit at the end, so no cleanup is required while the application is
running (the OS should cleanup resources when the app exits) but you do
this at your own risk)

Cheers

Russell