From: Michael Glassford (glassfordm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-18 09:30:42

"Bronek Kozicki" <brok_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> I would think that users of MSVC6, old Borland compilers or GCC 2.95
are
> "adoption blockers" and they possibly do not care much about new
> features in boost (apparently they also do not care much about
decent
> implementation of C++ standard library). Thus hopefully they will
not
> mind if we just ask them to use releases in 1.31.x branch. But it
also
> means that we will need to support two branches for (at least) next
two
> years. This might be cumbersome, but on the other hand it should
> simplify development in "current" branch.

An important thing to realize is that programmers are not always free
to choose their compilers. I agree in theory that dropping support for
old problem compilers is a good idea; unfortunately, in practice, I am
stuck using MSVC6 for a while longer. That doesn't mean I don't care
about new features in Boost; quite the opposite: I push for a new
compiler whenever possible so that I can use features *already* in
Boost that don't work well with MSVC6.

Mike