From: David Bergman (davidb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-24 21:39:34

Edward wrote:

> > I think we all agree on having telling names. I think we do
> disagree
> > on whether "fs" (and similar abridged variants) are
> indicative as to
> > their meaning. And, some people are dogmatically against abridged
> > lexemes. I assume some of those people live in the United States of
> > America, whereas I live in the U.S.
>
> Actually if namespace identifiers in C++ could have a dot (
> '.' ) in them and if it was normally acceptable to use all
> uppercase letters in namespace identifiers ( usually reserved
> for macros ), I would be more likely to agree with you. Now
> imagine if 'U.S.' was 'us', don't you think such a short
> abbreviation could cause problems in normal use, and the
> United States would be more understandable ?

No, I do not think so. You must remember the context. If the abbreviation
"us" or "US" was used in a political or geographical setting, it would be
quite intuitive. Likewise would "fs" in the context of sowftare solutions.

Forms like "algo", "dir", "jmp" and "enum" are quite intuitive for a
software engineer.

Additionally, I am glad the U.S. actually *is* "us" as far as localization
issues are concerned. Noone misunderstands the lexeme "us-EN" in our field.

/David