From: Bjorn.Karlsson_at_[hidden]
Date: 2004-02-25 06:56:11

> From: Thorsten Ottosen [mailto:nesotto_at_[hidden]]

> > I'd say that for boost::filesystem, Dave's suggestion
> "files" would be a
> > great compromise.
>
> Why plural? We seldom name class in plural.

Good question, and I'm not really sure I can answer it very well (but I'll
try):

* It can be mentally expanded to files...ystem.
* Some names work "best" in plural (like signals, type_traits, iterators,
operators); this is of course very much IMHO.
* Just "file" seems a bit restrictive to me, but when I think about the
namespace "files" I read "files 'n other related stuff, too".

(Come to think about it, that Boost.Thread uses the singular form is
actually quite funny!)

As this is a highly subjective matter, I don't consider these
arguments/reasons to be anything else than personal opinions.

Bjorn