From: Larry Evans (cppljevans_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-02-26 13:04:19

On 02/25/2004 10:22 PM, Brian McNamara wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 12:24:40PM -0500, Brian McNamara wrote:
[snip]
>>A lot of this discussion may be "too abstract" to be useful. To make
>>things more concrete, in a little while I will post a short example
>>illustrating some differences of how the paradigms deal with data and
>>behaviors.
>

> Ok, as promised...

[snip]
Maybe an advantage of FC++ over other libraries could be illustrated
with a truly functional program written in lisp. For example,
as I mentioned in:

   http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/23704/match=mixin

, it seemed to me that FC++ would be ideal for doing what was described
in the article mentioned. This is because the dynamic inheritance was
expressed using lisp. I've attempted to do this in c++ in code located
at:

    <boost_files>/regexp_first.zip

, but I was hoping FC++ could maybe do better. One problem (maybe not
too big of a problem) with the regexp_first code is that there's a
pointer from subtype to supertype and back (more memory) and the
virtual functions in supertype must be delegated to in the subtype
(more programmer time).

I don't know if FC++ can improve on that, but I'd like to see if it
can. Brian, do you have any ideas on how to do it better in FC++?