From: Daniel Frey (d.frey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-01 16:40:06

Phil Richards wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 18:09:20 +0000, Paul A Bristow wrote:
> [Daniel Frey said:]
>
>>| I really suggest you look at my code at
>>| <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/boost/files/MathConstants/>, which solves
>>| all of the above points.
>>Except that VC 7.1 doesn't think it is legal C++ :-((
>>I think we need to establish if it is correct (as gcc and Intel think it
>>is)
>
> Nope, as has been said a number of times, it is not valid C++. typeof is
> not in the existing C++ standard. It is a very useful extension
> implemented by a number of vendors, but that doesn't make it standard.

That's not fair. VC7.1 is *not* failing because of my use of typeof. We
could provide a fallback for retrieving the return type of the
expressions. The point is, that the VC7.1 already failed with an
"Internal compiler failure" on previous version that were 100% ISO-C++.
Please try to understand the problem first before accusing me of writing
offending non-standard code which hurts the poor, innocent VC7.1 :-)

Regards, Daniel