From: Paul A Bristow (boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-07 11:08:17

Sorry to bang on about this, but we still haven't sorted it out.

To re-cap, it seems that the solution proposed a long time ago by
Michael Kenniston and recently by Thorsten Ottosen don't give as much
'extendibility' to user defined floating point types (quaddoubles,
RWsuper doubles, rational, interval, etc) as some would like.

Daniel Frey has produced two solutions which seem to provide this
extendibility,

BUT

1 His version 2 works on Intel (EDG?) and GCC compilers, but trips VC7.1
(see below).

Is this because VC7.1 is 'broken', or is it because it isn't really
legal code (or is the language ill-defined in this area).

Opinions on this would be most welcome. What the other compilers make of
his code may be revelevant?

If there is a consensus that VC is wrong, then we can perhaps get it
fixed?

2 Daniel's Version 3 uses typeof which is not yet part of the language
- but is very likely to become so eventually.

Our other option is to wait until it is added before we try to provide
the ultimate 'constants' solution.

Paul

Paul A Bristow
+44 1539 561830 +44 7714 330204