From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-02 11:28:25

Neal Becker wrote:

>I have 1 more question. What about an archive that uses mmap? This should
>be very efficient for saving/restoring large structures in binary format.
>Is this a good idea?

I did all the STL collections as I considered these "fundamental". . I did
a version of shared_ptr myself as a test/proof of concept.

1 more question? Hmmm so for I have received submissions for serialization
of optional, scoped_ptr, date_time library among othersThese are from people
who needed to serialize other boost objects that they use. I've stopped
incorporating them as the library is getting too big for me to manage. If
this library is ever accepted, serialization of boost components will have
to be a responsibility separate from the serialization library itself.
After, they are really applications of the serialization library rathet than
components of the library.

So feel free, to make a serializer for any kind of data structure you find
useful. All we have to do is to find a place to put it.

Robert Ramey