From: David Turner (dkturner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-04 14:14:32

Hello

Beman Dawes wrote:
> I understand that the implementation details can't be
> exchanged. But we
> aren't taking about implementations of buttons, we are
> talking about the
> abstract concept of an OK_button. That certainly could be
> transferred,
> couldn't it? More importantly, you could build up a widget
> library which
> could be used regardless of the target window. Sorry if I'm missing
> something here; I'm not much of a GUI programmer.

Okay... I have an idea for how this could be done.

I confess I'm biased against it, due to the difficulties and
inefficiencies it raises in the implementation.

How's this (syntax as of tonight - I'll upload it tomorrow):

window w("Test Window");
grid g(2, 2);
w.contain(g);
g.contain(button("Click me", on_click), 1, 1);
g.contain(label("Enter your name:"), 0, 0);
textentry t();
g.contain(t, 1, 0);
wait_for_signal(w.delete_signal()); // note () after delete_signal

Regards
David Turner