From: Hurd, Matthew (hurdm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-18 20:03:47

I'll add $0.02 to the conversation.

Logging for me depends on the infrastructure you need the logs for. The
output needs to be suitable.

Two main styles I see are SNMP and Log4J style. This means app logging
can interoperate. Forgetting about SNMP for the time being, I'd look at
the cpp log4J clones. They support things like syslog, NT event log,
files, ip messaging output with different styles of formatting.

There are a few log4J ones out there. I've been using Log4cplus from
sourceforge and a been happy enough with it for its simple purpose.

Being able to have zero overhead for compiling it outta-there and having
enabling and disabling at run-time would be nice. The other thing I'd
like is having support for stack viewing which I've used in the past for
helping with production support.

Regards,

Matt Hurd

Susquehanna Pacific P/L