From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-18 21:37:57

At 06:51 AM 3/16/2004, Thorsten Ottosen wrote:

>I just had a look at boost::filesystem, and it felt really good to use.
>There is one common idiom that might be worth including: recursive
>traversal.

As you have probably figured out from the responses of others, there is a
lot of interest but coming up with the right feature set would require some
thought.

Another desirable feature is filtering. (That is also a need for
non-recursive iteration.) John Maddock and others did some work on
filtering a while ago, but then we got busy with other things and didn't
pursue it.

Very early in the library's evolution there was an attempt to handle
recursion (for copying, IIRC) via adding a runtime option or two. The
number of options multiplied, and the approach was dropped as unwieldy.

I wonder if a policy-based template approach might be more appropriate?

--Beman