From: Pavel Vozenilek (pavel_vozenilek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-19 17:54:40

This should be starting point of discussions about proper indexed_set
naming.

indexed_set name was picked long before the library gained much more
functionality.

Instead of changing name immediatelly it was decided to wait on opinion of
others
(any change requires quite a lot of work).

Here are my suggestion of names, with rationale:

1. the data structure should be named "multi_container"
   and should reside (or be lifted) in boost namespace.

   Rationale: it is superset of std::set/multiset/list
   and possibly slist and deque). Therefore the "multi".
   The structure is important and will be probably
   unique - therefore the boost namespace.

2. library specific names that won't fit into boost
   namespace should be in "multiindex" namespace.

   Rationale: it will be used mainly for index related
   names. The name is aso reasonably short.

3. indexes should be named: set_like, multiset_like,
   list_like, slist_like, deque_like.

   Rationale: it gives idea to user what it is about (more
   than e.g. sequenced).

4. Since indexed_set::unique may clash with std::unique
   I suggest to use words "distinctive", "non_distinctive".

   Rationale: I found it in a dictionary as the only
   one word synonum to unique. English native comment welcomed.

/Pavel