From: John Torjo (john.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-22 01:37:12

Geoff Leyland wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Why not do something like
>
> my_log("this_module_logging_flag_notes") << "Doing something in
> this_module";
> my_log("that_module_logging_flag_errors") << "Something went wrong in
> that_module";
>
> where a log object is either (depending on a compile time setting) a
> proxy for a stream or a not_logger than has

this is not such a hard thing to do ;) I've implemented some log classes
like this in the (far) past ;)
But what you would actually want is an enumerator or something, so that
you can write things like:

log<error>() << "some error";
log<activity>() << "some activity";

And with compile switches you can turn on/off error/activity/etc. logs.
But what about runtime? When it comes to logging, I really want a lot to
be able to turn on/off such features at runtime.

So, maybe a better result would be:
log(error) << "some error;
log(activity) << "some activity";

and log(x) be a macro in the lines of 'if(x) x'

Best,
John