From: Gennaro Prota (gennaro_prota_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-22 11:41:50

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:47:31 -0000, "John Maddock"
<john_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> Sorry, I can't, because I have no access to the VC7's Dinkum.
>
>OK I'll look into it when I get a chance.

Yup, that has happened before I got a chance to read this, thanks :)

>I see where you're coming from, so how about just
>BOOST_GCC/BOOST_BORLAND/BOOST_INTEL etc, probably added on an "as needed"
>basis.

Everything works for me, as long as it is brief and consistent. I'll
post a separate message with the proposed names, just to be sure that
everyone reads them (this thread has a quite specific subject - non
Intel users could have simply skipped it). About consistency, since
the other macros use the vendor name (Intel, Borland, etc.), maybe
BOOST_GNU is better than BOOST_GCC.

>[Having a numeric ID for each compiler...]
>Looks a little too complicated to me...

<Just for the sake of discussion>
Well, it's not so complicated, really. Instead of having a different
macro for each compiler, to be tested with the defined() operator, you
have one macro, BOOST_COMPILER (always defined) whose *value*
identifies the compiler (1 is Borland, 2 is Comeau, etc.)

Genny.