From: Miro Jurisic (macdev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-27 01:39:39

In article <49300.192.168.1.101.1080241182.squirrel_at_lan.wheel>,
 "Hagen Moebius" <mailing-lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> At this point I would like to state a question I have since some time. How
> is a boost library supposed to implement unicode support? There seems to
> be no Unicode support in the whole STL standard and not in boost either,
> except for the wide character support which as far as I know is limited to
> UCS-2 (or does it allow UCS-4?) Anyway, with linux, the most common
> unicode system is UTF-8. And I can seem to find any library or
> functionality in any way to support this (world-wide) accepted approach.

There isn't a good way that I am aware of. I have some ideas floating around in
my head for Unicode classes that I would submit to boost once there is something
worth submitting, but I am woefully short on free time nowadays, and Unicode
handling beyond the simple-minded UTF-8 approach has not come up in my work with
sufficient urgency that I could justify doing it in my work time yet. So, either
it will, and I will start working on a proposal and submit it to boost, or
someone will beat me to it, but either way you mostly lose right now, AFAIK.

meeroh