From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-03-30 00:21:16

Edward Diener wrote:

> John Maddock wrote:
>>> I attempted to build bcp with Jam V2 and como under Win2k with the
>>> latest CVS source and the latest bjam.exe. My como installation is in
>>> H:\Utilities\Comeau directory and is already set up to use a back end
>>> compiler.
>>
>> I can't comment on bjam -v2, but it builds just fine with the usual
>> bjam version 1, with VC7.1:
>>
>> bjam -sTOOLS=vc7.1
>
> It doesn't build with bjam --v2. Should it ?

For a toolset supported by V2, it should. In particular, vc7.1 is supported
and should work.

> There is a jamfile.v2 in the
> bcp directory. Is bjam version 2 and the Build System version 2 still
> works in progress which end users should not use. I can't make out whether
> version 2 is completed and errors should be reported when it doesn't work
> or whether I should stick with using version 1 and assume that version 2
> will be ready sometime in the future.

Definitely, errors should be reported and will be appreciated. V2 is not
100% ready (e.g. the "install" functionality is missing), but overall is
expected to work. I use it daily to build both my project and Boost.

> I also find the version 2 docs and
> explanations less than helpful. Any enlightenment on this situation would
> be welcome.

If you could report your observation at jamboost_at_[hidden] mailing
list we can see what can be improved.

- Volodya