From: Edward Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-01 10:48:30

"John Maddock" <john_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> > I built bjam for 1.31 and then I built bcp for 1.31 using MingW/GCC
3.3.1
> > using bjam version 1. I then opened a command prompt, went to the root
> > directory of my Boost 1.31 distribution and tried:
> >
> > bcp --list shared_ptr
> >
> > I received this error message:
> >
> > **** exception(205): std::runtime_error: Error opening for output.
> > ******** errors detected; see standard output for details ********
>
> Looks like std::cout was unable to open up a stream?

Seems like some sort of bug in GCC 3.3.1/MingW.

> > I then went to the boost subdirectory of my Boost 1.31 distribution and
> > typed the same command as above and received:
> >
> > no errors detected
> >
> > but no other output was printed on standard out. I am just trying to get
> > list of any dependencies which shared_ptr has using bcp. What am I
missing
> > in this entire procedure ? It does not appear that bcp is working
> correctly
> > but maybe I am missing something in how it should be working.
>
> The only way I can get no output (as in your vc7.1 case) is if
> libs/shared_ptr is an empty directory (Note that listing for "shared_ptr"
> lists everything used by that lib, including all the testing code, use
> "bcp --list shared_ptr.hpp" if you just want the header's dependencies).
> I've just built and tested with Borland, VC7.1, Intel8, and cygwin and
> they're all working OK for me (with the current release version).

I tried bcp --list shared_ptr.hpp with the same problems.

I was trying GCC 3.3.1, not VC7.1. I will try VC7.1 and see what occurs and
report any errors I get.

This is really my first time working withj GCC 3.3.1 and evidently there are
things about how it works which I don't know. I can try to build a debug
version with GCC 3.3.1 and attempt to step through the gdb debugger to see
why it is not opening a std::cout stream properly, but maybe it is not worth
it if I can get bcp working by building it with VC7.1 . Thanks for checking
it out.