From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmutkaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-05 14:24:37

David Abrahams wrote:

> > First off, BCP is excellent. Here is a suggestion which
> might make it
> > even more excellent, but it might not be deemed doable or important
> > enough considering the extra parsing that needs to be done. I would
> > like to see BCP be able to take a compiler-version/operating
> > system/standard library, or some combination of these
> possibilities,
> > and produce its file list with these extra narrowing possibilities.
> > This would largely mean being able to look at the config files and
> > eliminate the files which don't pertain to a particular
> > compiler/os/standard library, but it might also affect
> other files among Boost's headers and libraries.
> >
> > My idea is that one may want to only distribute certain Boost files
> > and libraries for a particular implementation, whereas BCP
> gives all
> > related files for a particular file without considering
> specific implementations.
> >
> > I realize that such an undertaking may be a considerable amount of
> > work and I am not trying to saddle John Maddock with it,
> especially as
> > manually eliminating files which do not pertain to a particular
> > implementation may be fairly easy. Ideally, however, it
> would be nice
> > if one could do this programatically.
>
> Sounds like a job for the Wave preprocessor.

As far as the only task is to extract the file names of all included files
given a set of pp constants (compiler/library/platfrom specific) this is
supported by Wave out of the box. For this to happen I'd propose you create
config files containing the corresponding macro definitions to mimic the
needed compiler etc. For instance for the VC7.1 this would look like:

vc7.1.cfg:
-D_MSC_VER=1310
-D_MSC_FULL_VER=13103077
etc.

Regards Hartmut

BTW: There is a sample included in the Wave package, which shows how to use
the include file listing feature (list_includes).