From: Nicolas Fleury (nidoizo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-08 12:43:53

Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
> "Object-orientation" was invented in '60s and was deemed only of
> intellectual values, available only in experimental or heavy
> environments; C++ took it from research labs and put it in the
> hands of Joe Programmer. With success.
> Generic programming has been around since the '70s (albeit without
> that name) and deemed only of academic values; C++ took it and put it
> in the toolkit of Joe Programmer. With success. I have hopes it will
> eventually do the same for functional paradigm.

But is metacode (or equivalent) really about functional paradigm, or
more about ways to do things easily at compile-time? You could build
classes at compile-time with procedural-like code and maybe that would
put the capability with more success in the hands of Jow Programmer than
with something more like Lisp? I really don't know the answer...

Regards,

Nicolas