From: Powell, Gary (powellg_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-08 13:38:50

>> Do you think there would be merit in starting over from scratch?
>> With a new language, I mean.

>Of course. But adoption and interoperability are difficult issues,
>then. http://felix.sf.net has one interesting strategy.

 This is of course a similar approach that C++ did to usurp "C". Generate code in a language that the machine is likely to have a compiler for.

 Without doing this, the chances of a new language being adopted by businesses which have bizillions of euros invested an existing code base and trained engineers is nil, nada, squat.

 By doing this a small test project can be done on the side by a team and if the results are good, integrated into the rest of the company. (If poor those left on the project when its cancelled will be terminated and forced to look for employment under assumed names.)

The key is having both a "compiler" and a "debugger" that understands both languages at the source level. The quotes are to indicate that an interpreted language is not ruled out. Anyone who tried to debug CFront with adb, understands what I'm referring to.

  Yours-who-nearly-started-programming-"C"-when-it-was-"B",
  -Gary-