From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-09 01:31:09

I saw this in <http://boost.org/more/getting_started.html>:

//=========================================================================
Text file line endings in the .zip file are as supplied by each library
developer. This works fine for Windows, but not for Unix/Linux. The
tar.gz and .tar.bz2 files supply Unix/Linux friendly line endings.
//=========================================================================

I'm challenging the assertion that text-file line-endings should be
developer-chosen.

The archives are generated from a CVS export, right? I thought that CVS
regulates all text files to have Unix-style line endings, and a CVS client
will change a text file's line-endings upon check-in or -out from/to the
appropriate character(s) for the client's platform. The developer would not
have a choice. The only way around that would be if a text file was
accidentally added to CVS in binary mode. However, storing a text file in
binary mode unnecessarily has a large storage penalty. Check-outs and -ins
also get messed up if a text file is in binary mode but the text editor is
"smart" enough to clean up the difference (i.e. add extra line-break
characters). If we have messed up text files like this, shouldn't we fix
them up in the CVS repository? (Is that even possible?)

--
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie