From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-09 01:27:37

On 4/6/04 3:27 AM, "Vladimir Prus" <ghost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> it seems that Unicode support is the last issue that should be addressed
> before the library can be added to CVS. Since the issue is somewhat tricky,
> I'd appreciate some comments before I start coding.
[TRUNCATE]

What about:
    * There's no guarantee that "char" is based on ASCII
    * There's no guarantee that "wchar_t" is based on Unicode

Since other text-related parts of Boost don't really deal with Unicode
issues, maybe you should address it after putting it in CVS. Maybe after
discussions on how Unicode can fit in Boost-wide. (Other posts in this
thread have admitted that the problem is big and difficult. I don't think
it's worth delaying the library over. Sometimes, cool-sounding ideas in the
abstract turn out to be bad ones in practice.)

Even if you do come up with some grand Unicode plan, you would have to make
sure your library works with platforms that don't use ASCII/Unicode.

--
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie