From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-09 02:54:37

Daryle Walker wrote:
> On 4/6/04 3:27 AM, "Vladimir Prus" <ghost_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > it seems that Unicode support is the last issue that should be addressed
> > before the library can be added to CVS. Since the issue is somewhat
> > tricky, I'd appreciate some comments before I start coding.
>
> [TRUNCATE]
>
> What about:
> * There's no guarantee that "char" is based on ASCII
> * There's no guarantee that "wchar_t" is based on Unicode
>
> Since other text-related parts of Boost don't really deal with Unicode
> issues, maybe you should address it after putting it in CVS.

It was specifically requested that some Unicode/wchar_t support be added
before putting to CVS.

> Maybe after
> discussions on how Unicode can fit in Boost-wide. (Other posts in this
> thread have admitted that the problem is big and difficult. I don't think
> it's worth delaying the library over. Sometimes, cool-sounding ideas in
> the abstract turn out to be bad ones in practice.)

What 'cool-sounding idea' do you mean? What I proposed was that unicode data
is just passed though, without modification.

> Even if you do come up with some grand Unicode plan, you would have to make
> sure your library works with platforms that don't use ASCII/Unicode.

Do you know specific case there wchar_t does not implicitly means Unicode.

- Volodya