From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-19 12:08:54

> Jeff Garland writes:

> Yes, for 'random access' archives (think relational database buffer here)
> it's possible the archive process will need additional meta-data not
> provided in the base library setup (think mapping of classes to tables and

> attributes to columns). And yes, I've implemented this one before as well
> -- it's a very handy bit of infrastructure.

> but in fact I believe given the current library it could now
> be done by writing and archive and perhaps some enhancements to the
> registration.

I faced the same problem with XML meta-data. I resolved with the NVP
wrapper which kept XML out of the library core - really a big thing for me
as I have had to continually refactor to keep things from growing totally
out of control. I'm sure this idea of making a wrapper which includes
meta-data along with the data itself is going to be useful in cases like
this.

> I think in the past Robert has considered this "out of scope",

Well, yes. I have fought a continuing battle to limit scope.

> BTW, I think the references should include a reference to this paper which
> discusses many of these variations and design issues.

http://www.ubilab.org/publications/print_versions/pdf/plop-96-serializer.pdf

I've seen this paper, and at this suggestion was made before. I think I
included a reference to it but the link moved. There's another whole field
to plow regarding web references as opposed to published ones.

Robert Ramey