From: Matthias Troyer (troyer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-05-04 19:08:31

Brian Braatz wrote:

> Question- I was just looking for clarification. Does the boost
> serialization library allow me to have objects on different platforms
> stream to each other?

You will need two ingredients:

1.) a binary portable archive, e.g. the CDR or XDR archives discussed
2.) replacements for the serialization of the standard containers,
since the ones provided by Robert store the sizes as int (instead of a
portable integer type). One possibility would be to have a traits type
in the serialization for these containers, which defaults to int (or
better yet std::size_t) but which could be specialized for the portable
archives.

Matthias