From: Hurd, Matthew (hurdm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-19 20:39:45

> Jeff Garland
> > On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:14:12 -0400, Hurd, Matthew wrote
>
> Strikes me
> > that date expressions would look nice as expression templates.
>
> Sure but the real requirement is that they be strings because
> these things get
> read in from databases and files in real apps -- they don't tend to be
> hardcoded in code.

Yep. A little spirit grammar would do the job though a little slowly.

Once we can have strings for compile time template programming and a
suitable parser things might be different. The distinction will blurr.

I remember some banter quite a while a go about using char arrays for
meta programming. Would it be possible to use boost pp to process a
convenient macro string into a char array form for further
meta-processing? In this vein, are string and floating point types as
template parameter manipulation thingos (thingos: ISO C+ 5.2.1.3*) up
for inclusion in C++0X?

> Which is why I'm starting to see all these logical constructs
> as just another
> form of date generation type that has a set of rules and
> combines 2 elements
> (a date and month count in this case) to get another date.

I guess:

        single_date_generator :: date x adjustment x result spec -> date

        where adjustment is the month count.

Regards,

Matt Hurd.
*don't look that up, I'm joking