From: Cyrille Dupuydauby (cyrille.dupuydauby_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-20 03:07:58

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:14:12 -0400, Hurd, Matthew wrote

> Calendars with holidays and being able to combine them for transactions
> is important. You can then refer to the second business day after the
> third Wednesday and such things. A typical use of a calendar is to have
> calendars for business jurisdictions and be able to union them. The
> usual implementation I've used is a bit field of days of the year for
> however many years, though a holiday list and look up might make more
> sense. A default "Western" calendar only has Sat,Sun as non-business
> days.

Totally agree with that, business related apps need holidays and business
days.
But holidays determination should be easily localizable.

> representation and the notion of "instance". E.g (-sun+2b) <= -3d ?
> (-sun+2b) : (-sun-1b). Now that's fun :-)

Not that much. But what about : (christmas+1b)

> Once place I worked had easter, the lunar calendar and the like to do
> some further unusual stuff.

Here in France we have the following date concepts (at least the ones I am
aware of) :
- Jours ouvrés (days with active buisness) = business days
- Jours ouvrables (days where you may have active business).
        Depends on business type, usually monday-friday, tuesday-saturday or
monday-saturday.
- Decades (multiple of ten days):
      For example, you can have a due date expressed as : 25 jours fin
décade (25 days then end of decade)
        then for 1st-5th january, the due date is 30th january, 6-15th
jan=>10th feb, 16th-25th jan=>20th and 25th jan-5thfeb => 28th feb (29th if
leap year)
- Mois de 30 jours (30 days month) :
        Number of days converted in months => 90 days mean 3 months. I bet
this one is more usual.

Cyrille Dupuydauby