From: Geoff Leyland (gley001_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-04-21 20:09:32

On 22/04/2004, at 12:34 PM, Edward Diener wrote:

> OK, I haven't done much language or locale translation so I have no
> strong
> opinion either way. I do see that printf like strings, with their
> embedded %
> identifiers can be translated whole, whereas stream strings are often
> made
> of fragments combined.

Sorry this is a bit OT, but...

The problem is that the fragments you end up with depend on the
structure of the language you first wrote the message in. The same
sentence in a different language might not break into the same
fragments. So it's not just that you have to translate a lot of
fragments instead of a few phrases, it's that you can't be sure you can
translate the fragments you have into new fragments that'll give you
correct phrases.

Having one string to translate, as well as format's nice features that
can be used for, for example, putting the logic for handling plurals
into the string, is cool.

cheers,
Geoff