From: Arkadiy Vertleyb (vertleyb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-05-02 20:38:36

Hello everybody,

A couple of weeks ago I initiated the discussion about simple typeof
emulation, and provided an example on how it can be done with the help of
MPL vector of integral constants. I then used MS-specific __COUNTER__ macro
to spare the user from specifying the unique integer for each registered
class/template. I hoped to find a way to do something similar in standard
C++, and asked preprocessor experts for help.

Indeed, Paul Mensonides suggested such a way. At first I thought that it
will not be good enough replacement for the __COUNTER__, but then I realized
that I was wrong. So I re-worked my implementation of typeof, and now
offerring it to your attention.

Besides removing __COUNTER__, I used the Boost.Preprocessor library to
cleanup the implementation. Also, after the discussion with Jody Hagins, I
put the encoding/decoding classes inside anonimous namespace to avoid
collisions between translation units.

The provided example shows what registration needs to be done to calculate
the type of a lambda functor:

#include BOOST_TYPEOF_BEGIN_REGISTRATION()

BOOST_TYPEOF_REGISTER_TEMPLATE(tuples::tuple, 2);
BOOST_TYPEOF_REGISTER_TEMPLATE(lambda_functor, 1);
BOOST_TYPEOF_REGISTER_TEMPLATE(lambda_functor_base, 2);
BOOST_TYPEOF_REGISTER_TEMPLATE(relational_action, 1);
BOOST_TYPEOF_REGISTER_TEMPLATE(logical_action, 1);
BOOST_TYPEOF_REGISTER_TYPE(greater_action);
BOOST_TYPEOF_REGISTER_TYPE(less_action);
BOOST_TYPEOF_REGISTER_TYPE(and_action);
BOOST_TYPEOF_REGISTER_TYPE(placeholder<1>);
BOOST_TYPEOF_REGISTER_TYPE(placeholder<2>);

#include BOOST_TYPEOF_END_REGISTRATION()

main()
{
    BOOST_TYPEOF_ALLOCATE(fun, _1 > 15 && _2 < 20); // <unspecified> fun(_1
> 15 && _2 < 20);
    int n = 19;
    assert(fun(n, n));
}

One of remaining problems is inability to process top-level consts and
references, that get eatten up at the function level, before the partial
template specialization gets involved...

Although I believe that I don't do anything non-standard now, unfortunately
I can't prove it myself. The only compiler I have besides MSVC is GCC, and
it gives me "sorry not implemented" on something as simple as
mpl::int_<sizeof(foo(...))>... Besides, GCC already has a typeof. Would
anybody be so kind as to try the "typeof" with some other compiler? I would
really apprciate this...

Here is the link: