From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-05-11 01:14:59

Christoph Ludwig wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 12:17:57PM +0100, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> > On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 12:14:59PM +0200, Christoph Ludwig wrote:
> > > I have no idea what the gcc developers recommend in order to detect
> > > multi-threading support or if this should be reported to the gcc
> > > developers as a bug. But it will certainly break many programs using
> > > Boost.
> >
> > I've been meaning to get around to asking that on the gcc list.
> > Unfortunately gcc.gnu.org seems to be down today.
>
> It's up again. I posted the question to the gcc-help list
> (http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2004-05/msg00099.html). Hopefully we
> will get an answer that enables us to make the BOOST_HAS_THREADS
> detection more reliable.

Maybe, you should ask the question on the main gcc list, or maybe even file a
bug.

After all, the situation is with earlier gcc version, it was possible to
reliably detect if -pthread is specified and enable MT code in Boost. Now
it's not possible, so as far as Boost is concerned, it's a regression in 3.4.

And BTW, you're not the only one which sees the problem. It seems that Neal
Becker has the same problem with the program_options library.

- Volodya