From: Christoph Ludwig (cludwig_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-05-10 10:52:11

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 12:17:57PM +0100, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 12:14:59PM +0200, Christoph Ludwig wrote:
> > I have no idea what the gcc developers recommend in order to detect
> > multi-threading support or if this should be reported to the gcc
> > developers as a bug. But it will certainly break many programs using
> > Boost.
>
> I've been meaning to get around to asking that on the gcc list.
> Unfortunately gcc.gnu.org seems to be down today.

It's up again. I posted the question to the gcc-help list
(http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2004-05/msg00099.html). Hopefully we
will get an answer that enables us to make the BOOST_HAS_THREADS
detection more reliable.

> > A user can work around this problem by either including
> > boost/config.hpp before any other headers (even Boost headers since
> > boost/lexical_cast.hpp, for example, includes string before
> > boost/config.hpp). Or the user builds everything with MT-support, even
> > if the program itself is single threaded. Neither workaround is
> > satisfying.
>
> Or (as I've been doing) explicitly defining BOOST_DISABLE_THREADS when
> you know your program is single threaded.

Well, I missed the most obvious workaround again! :-/

Thanks

Christoph

--
http://www.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/TI/Mitarbeiter/cludwig.html