From: Peter Danford (pdanford_qed_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-06-03 21:32:19

The problem is not the Boost.thread's dll itself, it is that using this dll requires using the RTL dll also. The extensive use of the RTL (in dll form) is apparently where the cost is.
But I do not know if it is because I lose some of the optimizations or what...

Peter

Johan Nilsson <johan.nilsson_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> That being said, I think there is surely a lot of room for more clever and
faster code, but it simply is computationally intensive by nature....

The computationally intensive stuff should be unrelated to Boost.Thread
performance. Actually I have a hard time finding out why there should be a
difference at all unless you create a lot of temporary threads all the time
(causing locks in DllMain's THREAD_ATTACH / DETACH notifications IIRC).

// Johan