From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-06-11 07:29:52

Allen Yao wrote:

> The file is_abstract.hpp in serialization18 and is_abstract.hpp in type
> traits library (in cvs) have conflict definitions of "boost::is_abstract".
> May Ramey fix this. For now, I just comment out the latter in order to use
> serialization18.

I am aware of this. serialization #18 is meant to be compatible with boost
1.31.

>In addition, I am confused with the ".ipp" files in libs/serialization/src/
>in serialization18. It is strange to write

>#include <libs/serialization/src/basic_binary_oprimitive.ipp> // for
serialization18

>in user code instead of

>#include <boost/serialization/basic_binary_oprimitive.ipp> // for
serialization17

>I wonder why these files can not be just named ".hpp"

It is my practice to distinguish between header files containing
declarations to be included by "users" of the library (*.hpp) from function
implementations (*.cpp) and template implementations (*.ipp). I moved the
*.ipp files to the src directory because they seemed no need for library
users to ever include them when building with the library. Since then it
has occurred to me that they may be included when one makes a new archive
when deriving from an existing one. Accordingly, these *.ipp files will be
moved to boost/archive/impl in the next version. This system is helpful to
me - I don't know what other peoples views are on this.

> when will we see the serialization library in boost cvs, please?

I have made changes to address all issues raised in the recent review. I'm
now making changes to permit builds on all the compilers I have. I hope to
upload a version compatible with 1.31 "real soon now". I will then build
against my cvs tree. Then I will request authorization to check in. It
will take a little time.

Robert Ramey