From: Eddie Diener (eddielee_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-06-12 18:21:52

Chuck Allison wrote:
> Jeff Flinn wrote:
>
>> Has William reappeared?
>
> Actually, I haven't heard from him for a while. This is not the final
> list. I will soon do a final query of those who want their names to
> remain on the Editorial Board (and of course, others can be added).
> The list I sent contains those who have participated in the forming of
> The C++ Source since last October. You might want to ping him with a
> private message.
>
> I should add here that I forgot to mention in my original post that
> for now, contributing to The C++ Source is a "labor of love". None of
> us are getting paid. As we get sufficient advertising, we will share
> the wealth. We are starting small, but I predict a gradual swelling
> until this becomes a mainstay for the majority of C++ developers.
> Someone has suggested a subscription basis, but with today's Internet
> culture, I think we'll do the most good if we keep it free. That can
> change, but for now, that's the way it is. After all, Boosters are
> very familiar with this model :-).

I suggested a subscription basis, to which I would personally pay in the
range $20-40 a year. I would much rather pay for anything than submit to
advertising, and all that it entails, in any form.

Gee, I am glad every programmer is doing so well under Bush-onomics, that
they never need to be paid for what they do. That certainly has not been
happening in the area of the US in which I live, but I am willing to believe
the rest of the country is much better. I am very appreciative of Boost
being free, make no mistake about, and I see great things being done on
SourceForge and amidst programming communities contributing free code to
others. But I am sure glad myself I am not starting out in the programming
world as a young man at this time. I can hardly feed my own face, much less
a family, so if I were starting out again I would throw up my hands in
despair, or consider life as a monk on Mt. Athos as being just as good a
solution <g> .

Good luck on your C++ Zine.