From: David B. Held (dheld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-06-13 10:55:46

> [...]
> Doesn't this explain a bit?
>
> http://www.boost.org/more/getting_started.html#Results

Well, it explains how the compiled libraries are named, which is
exactly why I want to know the best way to link Boost.Test against
a test program for another Boost library. Since the library name
contains the version number of Boost, I want to know if the Jamfile
that builds *my* test should hardwire that version number into
the name it looks for the library or not. Not only that, but how do
I make Jam automatically look under the corresponding platform?
It doesn't seem like a good idea to write the Jamfile for just one
platform, or create a separate file for every platform. Obviously,
I haven't read up enough on Jam to know whether I can answer
some of these questions myself. But some of them seem like
they probably don't have obvious answers anyway. For instance,
as a test writer, should I assume that the user who is building my
test already built Boost.Test and installed it in the default location,
or should I try to handle a case in which the user, say, installed
the library in a system directory of some sort? I don't see answers
to these questions in any of the references pointed to, but maybe
I'm just not looking closely enough.

Just to be concrete, let me give an example of what I mean:

exe my_test
        : <lib>libboost_test-gcc-1_31.a
          my_test.cpp
        : <include>$(BOOST_ROOT)
    ;

I'm pretty sure this is not the ideal way to write the Jamfile, but
at first blush, it seems the most obvious way, pending better
answers to my questions. I don't even know if that is the right
syntax for linking to an external library or not.

Dave

---