From: John Fuller (jfuller_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-06-23 09:24:16

Just some memories about UNIX child processes here

- On UNIX systems where I have a daemon fork children, often
I build into its service loop a nonblocking wait for any suspended
children.
(NOHANG). I agree it's good to get the return status of the children.

- As a last resort, I suppose one could ioctl the file in the proc
directory
for a process.

- Using SIGCHLD can be tricky if some children are forked by third
party code:
for example a database client "shadow process" may have its own
handling,
may change its own process group, and/or on termination may have an
unexpected
effect on the parent. Additionally modifying the priority of children
can have
unexpected results in these cases as well.

- I recall that signal handling in general requires a lot of care due
to the
asynchronous nature of signals.

- I recall that process and group permissions are a tricky area, some
capabilities
require sudo authority and some children are better off running as
different users,
but the other side of the problem is preventing malicious use of the
capabilities.

On Jun 23, 2004, at 3:56 AM, Angus Leeming wrote:

> Gregory Colvin wrote:
>>> namespace {
>>>
>>> std::map<pid_t, int> completed_children;
>>>
>>> int status;
>>> sig_atomic_t pid;
>>>
>>> }
>>>
>>> extern "C"