From: Michael Glassford (glassfordm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-06-29 10:55:20

Doug Gregor wrote:

>>>Absolutely. This is *extremely* important to keep in mind when discussing
>>>any kind of concept taxonomy.
>>
>>I would consider this more an argument for eliminating 1-argument
>>constructors entirely (except for scoped_lock, where its meaning is
>>completely unambiguous): there doesn't seem to be a
>>way to define them that is both consistent within the lock class and
>>consistent across lock classes (e.g. I agree with Vladimir that for
>>consistency within the try_lock class, it should be non-blocking; but as
>>Christopher pointed out, for consistency across lock classes, it should
>>be blocking).
>

> Right, so what we have (I think) are reasonably well-designed classes with
> incorrectly specified concepts. scoped_lock should really lock; try_lock
> should just try to lock.

I'm not sure exactly what you're suggesting here. Are you talking about
only the constructors, or would you completely eliminate all blocking
functionality (e.g. the lock() method) from try_lock? And all non-timed
functionality (e.g. the lock() and try_lock() methods) from timed_lock?

>>And, if you consider the larger case, which also includes
>>read/write locks, single-argument constructors are even harder to define
>>(do the read-lock or write-lock?; do they block or not?).
>

> I'd expect scoped_*_read_lock and scoped_*_write_lock classes to be separate
> classes that model whatever locking concepts we come up with. Actually, the
> design of the read/write lock on the branch really surprised me, because it
> used the read_write_lock_state enum instead of distinct types.

There's a lot to be said for separate read-lock and write-lock types,
and I was hoping to address that at some point; however, it would make
lock promotion/demotion more difficult (unless maybe the read_lock class
had a promote() method that returned a write_lock class or something
like that, but that has some problems, too).